Happy birthday to Haircut One Hundred singer, songwriter, and guitarist Nick Heyward, born on this day May 20, 1961 in Beckenham, England.
If you’re a fan of 80s music and are looking for a playlist that will transport you back in time, look no further than Haircut 100. This British band, fronted by the charismatic Nick Heyward, burst onto the music scene in 1981 with their debut album, Pelican West, which spawned several hit singles. Their catchy, upbeat sound blended elements of funk, pop, and jazz, and quickly earned them a devoted following. In this post, we’ve compiled the top Haircut 100 songs that you need to add to your playlist. From the infectious “Love Plus One” to the groovy “Fantastic Day,” these tracks are sure to get you dancing and singing along. So, whether you’re a die-hard fan or a newcomer to the band’s music, get ready to discover the best of Haircut 100.
The top 10 Haircut 100 songs
Now that you know why Haircut 100 is worth listening to, let’s take a look at the top 10 songs you need to add to your playlist:
1. “Love Plus One”- This catchy hit single was Haircut 100’s biggest hit, and for good reason. The infectious melody and sing-along chorus make it a classic 80s anthem that’s sure to get you dancing.
2. “Fantastic Day” – Another upbeat hit, “Fantastic Day” is a feel-good track that’s perfect for a sunny day. The jazzy saxophone solo is a highlight of the song.
3. “Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)” – This funky track is a fan favorite, with its catchy chorus and lively beat. The lyrics touch on themes of young love and the excitement of new relationships.
4. “Nobody’s Fool” – A slower, more introspective track, “Nobody’s Fool” showcases Nick Heyward’s songwriting skills. The lyrics are heartfelt and relatable, touching on the pain of unrequited love.
5. “Boat Party” – This funky instrumental track is a testament to Haircut 100’s musical talent. The jazzy saxophone and funky bassline make it a standout track that’s sure to get you grooving.
6. “Prime Time” – Another upbeat, danceable track, “Prime Time” is a fan favorite. The catchy chorus and lively beat make it a must-add to any 80s playlist.
7. “Snow Girl” – An underrated gem, “Snow Girl” is a slower, more melancholy track that showcases Haircut 100’s versatility. The haunting melody and Nick Heyward’s soulful vocals make it a standout track.
8. “Love’s Got Me In Triangles” – This funky track is another fan favorite, with its catchy chorus and lively beat. The lyrics touch on themes of love and jealousy.
9. “Baked Beans” – This instrumental track is a showcase of Haircut 100’s musical prowess. The jazzy saxophone and funky bassline make it a standout track that’s sure to get you grooving.
10. “Kingsize (You’re My Little Steam Whistle)” – This upbeat, catchy track is a fan favorite. The lyrics touch on themes of young love and the excitement of new relationships.
Haircut 100’s impact on 80s pop music
Haircut 100’s unique blend of funk, pop, and jazz made them stand out in the crowded music landscape of the 80s. Their catchy, upbeat sound quickly earned them a devoted following, and their impact on pop music can still be felt today. Many of their songs have become classics of the era, and their influence can be heard in the music of modern pop acts.
The band’s history and discography
Haircut 100 was formed in 1980 by Nick Heyward, Les Nemes, and Graham Jones, and quickly gained a following in the UK. Their debut album, Pelican West, was released in 1982 and spawned several hit singles, including “Love Plus One” and “Fantastic Day.” The band released one more album, Paint and Paint, before disbanding in 1984.
Haircut 100’s live performances and tours
Haircut 100 was known for their high-energy live performances, which often featured elaborate stage setups and costumes. The band toured extensively throughout the UK and Europe, and also made appearances on popular TV shows like “Top of the Pops” and “The Old Grey Whistle Test.” Their live performances were a big part of their appeal, and helped to cement their status as one of the most popular bands of the era.
Haircut 100’s legacy and influence on modern music
Haircut 100’s impact on pop music can still be felt today. Their unique sound and catchy lyrics have made them a classic of the era, and their influence can be heard in the music of modern pop acts. Nick Heyward’s songwriting skills and charismatic stage presence have also inspired new generations of musicians. Haircut 100 may have disbanded in 1984, but their music continues to live on and inspire new generations of fans.
Curated by Jennifer